The last set
So, I've had to take a little break for a bit. I've been busy with other projects, so unfortunately Hanna went on hold for a few weeks. Now I'm back at it and I'm working on the last main set piece. This is an underground hallway. It will be dark and dingy when it's finished. I'm making this set TWICE as long as the others in order to really create the sense of distance needed. The first step was to build an additional stage that will connect easily to the other.
As you can see, the floor is 10' long on this one. I'm using a hardboard for the floor building it the same way as I did the other sets. I then use 1x4 boards in 3.25' sections. This will make it possible to remove any wall panel I need to in order to get the camera placement needed
I used 1/4" foam board for the walls since I knew it would be straight, square and light.
That's one long hallway!
I ran into a problem though. When I painted the foam core, the moisture curled the boards so much that they were unusable... Back to the drawing board. In the meantime I painted the floor with a greenish gray which will act as the base color for the concrete. I also added about 3 cups of espresso grounds to the paint which gives it a nice rough texture.
I decided to use the same product for the walls as I did for the floor. It's a little heavier, but won't curl with the paint and worth the trade off.
I got everything built and painted with the base coat. Now it's starting to look like a hallway.
I started to age and distress the cement ground. I also painted on the base coat for the doors. I've got a lot more to do, but you can now start to see it coming together.